Unite The World With Africa Foundation is working with the founder & director of the St. Joseph's Orphanage in Tanzania, Sister Crispina Mnate, to help provide a safe, clean, nurturing home environment and a top-quality education for her 48 orphans, ages 1 to 25. Since she was called to open St. Joseph's in 2000 to raise children who had either been abandoned and left for dead or orphaned by HIV/AIDS, Sister Crispina has been blessed with a small-but-dedicated team of men and women who have given their lives to serving her mission and the children. With this extraordinary team, Unite is committed to providing everything these precious children need grow into independent, happy, healthy, successful adults and leaders of tomorrow.
St. Joseph’s Head Matron “Mama Monica” (pictured right cutting hair) came to live with Sister in 2006 to teach the orphans. Abandoned as a child herself, Monica has since married and lives in the staff house with more than a dozen other family members and staff.
Every dollar raised in this campaign will be matched by an anonymous donor (double your impact!!!) and used to rebuild the existing staff house (pictured below), which is dilapidated, leaking, mold infeseted and extremely overcrowded. The new staff housing and volunteer compound will include toilets, showers and sanitation systems; electricity; a kitchen with piped water and stoves; enough bedrooms for the staff, their children and proper self-sufficient guest quarters for international volunteers who come to share their time, talent and expertise. Our goal is to raise the funds and build the compound BEFORE the coming rains in October/November.
Since Unite first began working with Sister Crispina in 2014, Unite The World With Africa Foundation has:
- Completed comprehensive renovations of both the girls’ and boys’ dorms, the indoor dining hall and laundry facilities;
- Installed rainwater harvesting tanks and water purification systems;
- Purchased (and continue to fill) water tanks and grain and bean silos;
- Built a full-scale kitchen with industrial stoves, an outdoor furnished and covered eating area, a chicken coop and goat pen (and continue to fill them with livestock);
- Constructed new toilet and shower blocks for both the boys' and girls' dorms and installed proper septic systems;
- Opened an on-site health clinic and connected St. Joseph’s to the local power grid;
- Built the adjacent Heaven Pre & Primary School to provide a top-quality English-speaking education for the youngest orphans as well as hundreds of surrounding at-risk village children; and
- Built a security wall to enclose and protect the campus (this project is underway).
Construction of this new staff house & volunteer compound is last major building project necessary to make St. Joseph's safe and secure for all the children AND staff living on campus.